Friday, May 21, 2010

My first layover in Frankfurt...

It's been a few days since I got back and a lot has happened since but I can remember how nice it was nice to stand in the cold and the trees!! Those who live in Dubai will understand and the rest of you will probably think I've gone crazy.
The day always starts by checking in our bags at the airport, we go to the briefing room, meet the crew, we have to answer a safe talk question ( if you get it wrong they ask you another one, if get that one wrong, you are offloaded and not allowed to fly!! ), the questions can be about anything...for example first aid or safety. On my first ever flight to Pakistan, I got my question completely wrong!! They asked me what medication I would administer for someone suffering from hyperglycaemia ( which is a condition diabetic people suffer from ), I answered Epipen which is an injection used to cure a severe allergic reaction!! haha what a retard!!They let me off and asked me another one which I got right, I was so nervous.
The flight wasn't very busy, it was great to be able to speak German again, I managed to ask the passengers what they would like to drink and eat :) I probably would have struggled in there was an emergency though!
The crew were lovely, I met a really nice girl called Krysta from Canada, she helped me during the flight when I didn't know where something was or how to do something. She loves photography too so hopefully we will fly together again and have a photography day. The service of drinks and food is different to how we learn it in training college, they teach us to build rapport with passengers and take time to chat, it is so difficult to do that on flights. The crew always tell me to hurry up with the service but it annoys me because I believe a few words exchanged with a passenger will probably make them choose Emirates again rather than just treating them like a number. So, when possible, I always to take time to have a little chat with a few passengers, normally the older ones as they are always so happy to be spoken too :)
We arrived in Frankfurt in the evening and I was amazed at the hotel, it was gorgeous! My room was so cosy, comfortable with a massive TV :) I slept for a few hours then showered and met Kristina ( Swedish ) and Peter ( Australian ) for dinner, I had a nice pint of German beer and a pizza. They had Schnitzel. I have decided to be vegetarian by the way, I have never been a keen meat eater and I just feel so sorry for the animals over here, they are treated so badly and it makes me feel bad eating them. I feel so much healthier in myself since no more animal fat is clogging my arteries, I respect anyone who chooses to eat meat though, don't get me wrong. Adam ( my boyfriend ) loves a massive burger :)
I still eat fish though.
The next day, I got up early and met some of the crew for breakfast, it was all you can eat buffet :) had a cooked breakfast, pancakes, fruit, tea and juice ( greedy I know! ). Then I went for a long walk to the shops through a lovely park, bought some chocolate and wine. It was so lovely to be out in the fresh air, in Dubai, because of all the construction, it's very dusty and everywhere is air conditioned, so being in Europe was lovely.
The plane was full on the way back, I had a nice man in my cabin, he was a skywards member ( frequent flyer ) so I made an effort to find out his name and anticipate his needs etc...I gave him a feedback form to fill in ( we have to give out 3 per flight ) and this is what he wrote....'Today i had a great flight I was in Economy but was treated like in business thanks to crew member Rebecca. She was always very helpful and prompt, and her dedication to good service made the flight extremely good for me. Thanks to Emirates and their choice of excellent staff' How good is that!!
So happy, it's great that our cabin crew manager will get a copy of it too :)
The service went well, enjoyed the flight back, exchanged numbers with Krysta.It's a shame that I didn't have a camera on this layover.
Air plane food is so addictive!! I ate about 5 meals on the way back!! I was chatted to some of the crew who told me that they'd put on over 5 kilos in their fist year of flying!! So, the next day after my layover I went to the gym, then went for a massive walk. All in all, I really enjoyed my first layover, wish I would have gone sightseeing but didn't have a camera and it was raining really heavily, I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to go again sometime :)

1 comment:

  1. I found this quite helpful!
    I was wondering is your boyfriend in Dubai with you?

    ReplyDelete